Monday, August 4, 2008

The Great Wall
















So we went to the Great Wall today! Got on the bus at 7am and got to the wall about 9am. There is a crazy village at the bottom of all the people pushing souvenirs (and I do mean pushing). I took the sky lift up to the base of the wall which was a mixture of scary and cool. It is really high up in the mountains. It was so humid and foggy that I was already soaked with sweat just at the base of the wall. Then we climbed all the way to the top of what you can see in the picture. There was a point when I didn't think I was going to make it. And I did have to sit at the top for about 30 mins before I could stand enough to walk back down. Instead of the sky lift back down the mountain I opted for the toboggan slide back down. That was totally awesome. I don't remember the last time I was that sweaty.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan just ain't gettin the job done. Disss!!

Anonymous said...

Are there speakers (like those megaphone-style speakers you see in TV shows like M*A*S*H, I'm thinking) all along the Great Wall of China? Maybe blasting some ominously "oriental"-sounding music, or maybe blasting "Great Wall Of China" by Billy Joel?

Anonymous said...

And when is the "work" suppossed to begin??? At least you're getting your exercise. Is the air as bad as the news is making out?

Lottie said...

No giant speakers. It was crawling with Chinese military that were very scary looking.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I thought going to Denver was going to be cool... but Wow!

-George

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made it there safe and sound. I am SOOOOOOOOOO jealous! Can't wait to read more.

Love ya!