Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Athlete's Village

Reported for work at Athlete's Village this morning. It is just as much of a mess as expected. I am sure I helped a bunch of famous athletes, but we were to busy to notice. I did have time to notice the USA swimmer Amanda Beard. The only reason I knew is because one of us was just looking at an article online about her yesterday. She was not giving up any USA pins though, very disappointing. I got 2 China pins today from people I helped. So I worked from 7am-5pm...not too bad. And back again tomorrow at 7am. After work I had tickets to the men's saber fencing finals. That was too cool. And we sat next to a group of American college fencers, so they sat there and explained all the rules to us. They were super nice to humor us. China won gold, France silver, and Romania bronze. Seeing a medal ceremony was not what I thought it would be. They set it up on the far end of the stadium surrounded by cameras, so we couldn't really see it at all. But still very cool.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is totally sweet! I didn't realize until yesterday that you will be there when (potentially) Federer and Nadal play for the Gold Medal! That would be totally awesome to go to...do you think there is any hope? Can you get into any tennis at all, you think?

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm curious for more details about the "mess" at the Athlete's Village. Come on - dish the dirt! Glad to hear you are finally busy. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Wow, fencing. Awesome.

I saw part of (I think) Brazil versus Hungary women's Handball yesterday. ENTHRALLING!

Anonymous said...

I couldn'r believe there was actually TEAM Handball. It was crazy. Does USA have a Team Handball team? That's not redundant is it?

Anonymous said...

Just saw Michael Phelps get his 10th career gold! It was unbelievable. Gotta quit staying up this late. Can't wait to hear what else you may have been able to see. Any hope to see some of the equestrian events?

Amanda said...

Well I'm off to bed and you probably on your lunch break :) I try to picture you there working and am still in shock that you actually there! I want a feakin T-Shirt! Can you get T-Shirts? I WILL SEND MONEY :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't commented yet...but I will here just to agree with chaoscat...whatever you have to do to get to a potential Federer/Nadal match...do it.

That would be the sweetest of the sweet.